Monday, October 07, 2013

Update on handspinning a super chunky yarn



The new school term has begun and I've finally found time to get back to working  on designing my super chunky cushion.  I've spun about 400 grams, but I've got a feeling that I'm going to need quite a bit more.  Ah well, we shall see...


Thankfully my yarn is knitting up to within the gauge of a super bulky yarn - 9sts x 12.5rows to 10 x 10 cm, on 10mm needles - so I'm very happy with that.


When I'm designing with hand spun yarn, I tend to be a bit more economical when I'm knitting up my tension squares.  I tend to just work pattern on top of pattern without casting on and off.  I fully intend to pull back  this knitted swatch and use the yarn again, so I don't want to start cutting it at this stage.


I just love seeing texture in thick bulky yarns so cables and purl stitches are going to be my starting point for this piece.


Before you go, I must share my favourite site when it comes to designing your own knitting patterns.  It's a very unassuming page on a Tokyo website, but it allows you to print out your own actual size graph paper to the exact dimensions of your knitted stitch.  It's so simple, but does exactly what I want it to.

Anyway, back to my knitting!

Related posts:-


------ 

Please be sweet and share the love. Leave a comment, like my Facebook page for regular updates or follow me on Pinterest,  Bloglovin' or Instagram

        


No comments: